Hello blog friends,
I thought I might want to explain how I came about using the colors that I do in the embroidery patches. First of all, many of the first images I saw of the Cantigas miniatures were in black and white. Later, I found some pictures that looked as if the background colors were pink or light blue. As more authors researching this manuscript actually traveled to Spain and purchased recent photos of the images, I could begin to understand that the pink was actually faded red, and that most of the blue backgrounds were a darker blue. No matter, my project had begun and I have chosen a bright pink back ground for the paled red images, and a light blue background for the blue ones. It works out nice as with a lighter background the bolder colors stand out quite well. I have further ventured to add more color in the images, as it seems that the majority of the images in the Cantigas miniatures were mainly red and blue, with some black and white. I decided that if the artists back then had a multitude of colors to choose from, such as I do today, they would have used them. Thus, I use a splendid variety of colors that often do not mimic the absolute color truth from the originals.
Please comment if you are compelled to.
Happy New Year!